NTF Executive Committee Member Testifies on Capitol Hill
On Tuesday, July 16, in the throes of NTF’s 2019 Leadership Conference, Executive Committee member and Minnesota turkey grower John Zimmerman went to Capitol Hill to represent the turkey industry at a House Agriculture Subcommittee hearing on the state of poultry and livestock economies. Zimmerman spoke to the specific challenges faced by the turkey industry such as labor shortages, trade access to foreign markets, animal disease and prevention and driving growth in the industry. He was joined by five other panelists from across the animal agriculture industry. Listen to Zimmerman’s opening statement here.
A major part of NTF’s work involves advancing the turkey industry’s priorities on Capitol Hill. Informed policymaking begins with hearing from the stakeholders, and NTF appreciates the opportunity to share the turkey industry’s own unique challenges and opportunities in front of key lawmakers.
What They’re Saying…
- Poultry industry takes labor concerns to Congress
- Northfield farmer speaks to House ag committee
- Livestock industry highlights need for USMCA passage
- House subcommittee gets update on state of livestock, poultry industries
- Labor: One input livestock producers can’t control
- Rep. Angie Craig (D-Minn.) highlighted the turkey industry’s participation in the hearing.
- NTF’s John Zimmerman gave a quick rundown of some of the turkey industry’s priorities after testifying before the committee. Watch the video: