8 (3 to 4-inch diameter) Portabella mushroom caps
1 lb HOT ITALIAN TURKEY SAUSAGE
1 tsp fennel seed, crushed
1/2 c fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
8-oz cream cheese, softened
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1. Remove stems from mushrooms and coarsely chop the stems.
2. Squeeze sausage from casings into a large skillet. Sauté sausage over medium heat, breaking up sausage into small pieces. Add chopped stems and fennel seed to pan and sauté until sausage is cooked through.
3. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon into a medium size bowl. Stir bread crumbs into sausage. Add softened cream cheese, cayenne, salt and pepper; mix well.
4. Place mushroom caps on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Brush mushrooms, top and bottom with small amount of olive oil.
5. Fill each cavity with ¼ cup sausage mixture. Sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake stuffed mushrooms in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until mushrooms and stuffing are hot throughout.